Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Working with someone else's design

I'm doing client work today, and it so happens that this client wants a Zazzle store. So I'm working with his designs. What's sad is that the person who sent him these designs really did not have them ready to go to an online store. One is going to end up being a bit fuzzy because he blew it up, and I had to convert two others, fix some missed masking, then export. I happen to know this client paid someone for these designs.

Now that I'm done fixing them they will be okay, but they could have been better. The best thing to do is to design on a transparent background. What I will do as well is put a layer down with a bright color on it, and switch it on and off as I work in Illustrator and/or Photoshop, to make sure I'm getting all extraneous trash out. Then I export to *.png at 300 dpi, which gives the best result for both Zazzle and Cafepress.

Making sure designs are clean and crisp is critical to happy customers on the other end!

1 comment:

  1. In photoshop the most reliable way to check for extra semi-transparent pixels is to use the magic wand. Set the tolerance to 0 click on a blank spot and you will quickly see spots that are not 100% transparent. I too used the background contrast method but when I received a shirt with "spots" I found out that the pixels were too light for me to notice, but not too light for the software.

    ReplyDelete